Bleu Door Favorite
Pumpkin Praline Pie
|From the kitchen of:|
|Type of food:|
|Dessert- Yummy Pie|
|How big a project is this?|
|1/2 hour prep- 1 hour baking|
|Comments from the chef:|
|OK with the Holidays coming I thought I would share the best ever pumpkin pie! The family still asks for it and raves.....All men LOVE this pie... Well, us girls do too... Not as hard to make as it sounds... Worth the effort!!|
PUMPKIN PRALINE PIE
Ingredients for the Crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1. Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F. and use a 9-inch deep dish-glass pie plate. (**If using a metal pie pan, increase temperature to 400 degrees.)
2. With pastry blender, cut shortening into dry ingredients until mixture resembles crumbs. (It will look like cornmeal. Add ice water (it must be very cold) one tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly. Dough should be just moist enough to hold together in a ball. Make sure it is not sticky. Form into ball and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Place dough on lightly floured surface and flatten slightly. Roll into 10-inch circle, rolling from the center out. Lay the crust gently into 9-inch deep-dish glass pie plate. Press into pan and crimp edges decoratively.
Ingredients for the Praline layer:
1/2 cup pecan pieces
Ingredients for the Pumpkin Filling:
2 large eggs
1. In food processor, add pecan pieces, dark brown sugar, and butter. Process until ingredients hold together like a paste, making sure the pecans are a fine "meal." Press very firmly into bottom only of the pie crust so it will not float up during baking.
2. In mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy with hand-mixer or standing mixer. Then with mixer on low, or stirring by hand, add in order the rest of the ingredients. Beat only until well mixed. Pour slowly into praline lined crust.
3. Bake in oven checking after 45 minutes. Cover edges of crust to prevent oven browning. Pie is done when filling is set but still slightly jiggly in center. Depending on oven 45-55 minutes total. Remove from oven and let cool on counter until room temperature. Chill in refrigerator.
4. Garnish with whipped cream and caramelized pecans, if desired. (*see recipe forc caremelized pecans below) Cut pie into eight servings and garnish each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and 2 caramelized pecan halves.
Optional: Carmelized Pecans
16 nice pecan halves
1. In a non-stick skillet, add pecan halves and sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until sugar melts and begins to caramelize.
2. When pecans are nicely coated, remove from heat and cool.